2024 Valentine’s Short Horror Contest – CLOSED
(winners will be announced by Feb 29, 23:59 Pacific Time)
Do you struggle with love? Wish there was an easier way to make an unforgettable connection with that special someone?
I feel you. Just last week I was on a date and I thought it was going so well! We were back at my place and my partner was so excited about the prospect of studying anatomy all night long. But one look at my vivisection kit and they were running through the window. Still won’t return my calls; rude.
Are you more into chainsaws than chocolate? More about severed fingers than fresh cut flowers? Do you only see whips and chains as practical devices for properly securing a dungeon? Listen, you and me = same page. And then I thought, why not have a horror story contest instead?
So if you’d rather toss hearts into a potion than stick ’em on a sucker, join the contest!
- Whip up the perfect short horror piece; aim for 1,000 to 3,000 words.
- Email your short story submission using the contest’s Google Form link, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include “short story entry” in the email subject line.
- Please include any trigger warnings in the body of the email.
- Include the name(s) we know you by in Rogue Writers with your entry.
Additional Rules & Info
- Open to Rogue Writers members only. Nonmember submissions will be discarded. It’s easy to join Rogue Writers and costs nothing!
- Limited to one submission per member. If you submit more than one story, please tell us which one you wish to be judged.
- Standard fiction disclaimers apply.
- As per general Rogue Writers rules, AI-generated content is NOT allowed. If we discover that a submission used AI-generated content, the submission and author will be disqualified from the contest.
- Please include any trigger warnings when sending us your entries.
- Keep it non-age-restricted. All Rogue Writers should be able to read it. No explicit erotica please, though sexual situations are fine.
- No depictions of real people (this includes, though isn’t limited to, NaNoWriMo HQ Staff, Board Members, and Volunteers). Characters who are historic people who died before the year 1900 are permissible.
- Please aim for 1,000 to 3,000 words; we understand if you go over a bit, but please keep in mind that our judges may be judging a whole bunch of stories.
- Entries will be received by a member who is neither judging nor participating in this contest, thus ensuring the submissions will be presented and judged anonymously.
- Judges can only read as fast as they can read. Once entries have closed, we will estimate how long judging will take based on how many pieces we have received. At that point, we will follow up with a timeline for announcing the winner.
- Submissions will be judged equally on technical aspects (ex: having a coherent theme) and emotional aspects (ex: reader immersion).
- Primary prizes are bragging rights and a digital certificate, but we reserve the right to design and award custom trophies and other prize packages as time and resources allow.
- Rogue Writers does not retain rights to submitted works and does not have a policy against submissions to multiple contests or journals.